Re: Keep Alive PGAdmin 1.8

Lists: pgadmin-hackers
From: Fil Matthews <fil(at)internetmediapro(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Keep Alive PGAdmin 1.8
Date: 2008-04-15 06:39:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Sirs

Thank You firstly for your fine front-end administration tool to
Postgres.. As an ex ORACLE D.B.A. I appreciate what you have done.

There is one point that I have not had the time or patience to find ..

Perhaps my postgres servers are configured incorrectly but they have
a wonderful habit ( of which I highly approve) of chucking out
"idle" connections.

Unfortunately my PGAdmin 1.8 connection is also seen as an "idle"
connection after some period of non use ..

The result is that any open connection to a server freezes and
subsequently the tool hangs (On a Windows XP platform ) .

Is there some way to use either a "keep alive" signal from PGAdmin or
a server postgresql.conf setting that applies only to this client that
will prevent this from happening?

ie PGAdmin stays connected and alive indefinitely ..

many thanks in advance for your kind attention.

Fil Matthews

(DBA since before databases were born .. )

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Fil Matthews <fil(at)internetmediapro(dot)com> wrote:
> Sirs
>
> Thank You firstly for your fine front-end administration tool to
> Postgres.. As an ex ORACLE D.B.A. I appreciate what you have done.
>
> There is one point that I have not had the time or patience to find ..
>
> Perhaps my postgres servers are configured incorrectly but they have
> a wonderful habit ( of which I highly approve) of chucking out
> "idle" connections.
>
> Unfortunately my PGAdmin 1.8 connection is also seen as an "idle"
> connection after some period of non use ..

PostgreSQL doesn't do this - it tends to be poorly configured routers
or firewalls that are disconnecting the idle connections. The usual
advice for people that run into this problem is to connect via an ssh
tunnel and enable keepalives there.

--
Dave Page

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:32 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:39 AM, Fil Matthews <fil(at)internetmediapro(dot)com> wrote:
> > Sirs
> >
> > Thank You firstly for your fine front-end administration tool to
> > Postgres.. As an ex ORACLE D.B.A. I appreciate what you have done.
> >
> > There is one point that I have not had the time or patience to find ..
> >
> > Perhaps my postgres servers are configured incorrectly but they have
> > a wonderful habit ( of which I highly approve) of chucking out
> > "idle" connections.
> >
> > Unfortunately my PGAdmin 1.8 connection is also seen as an "idle"
> > connection after some period of non use ..
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't do this

Yeh, it does:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

They're user settable, so pgadmin could offer that as an option. But you
can augment the pgadmin userid with a SET command to implement this
yourself as a user, see ALTER USER.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com