Re: [HACKERS] Anyone want to assist with the

Lists: pgsql-announcepgsql-generalpgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Anyone want to assist with the translation of the Advocacy site?
Date: 2002-10-02 22:53:07
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi everyone,

Have just put together a prototype page to show off the multi-lingual
capabilities that the Advocacy sites' infrastructure has:

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/?lang=de

The text was translated to german via Altavista's Babelfish, so it's
probably only about 80% accurate, but it conveys the concept.

Is anyone interested in translating the English version to other
languages? All Latin based languages should be fine (German, French,
Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Greek, etc).

If there's strong interest, then an interface to let volunteers
translators do it easily can be constructed over the next fortnight or
so.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi

Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Have just put together a prototype page to show off the multi-lingual
> capabilities that the Advocacy sites' infrastructure has:
>
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org/?lang=de
>
> The text was translated to german via Altavista's Babelfish, so it's
> probably only about 80% accurate, but it conveys the concept.
>
> Is anyone interested in translating the English version to other
> languages? All Latin based languages should be fine (German, French,
> Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Greek, etc).
>
> If there's strong interest, then an interface to let volunteers
> translators do it easily can be constructed over the next fortnight or
> so.

Hi Justin,

I am from Austria, and I would like to help. I could provide a German
translation. The Babelfish's translation is really funny. Machine
translation is readable, but it is no advocacy. ;-) I do not really nead an
interface, but just tell me in what way you want the texts.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

> I am from Austria, and I would like to help. I could provide a German
> translation. The Babelfish's translation is really funny. Machine
> translation is readable, but it is no advocacy. ;-) I do not really nead an
> interface, but just tell me in what way you want the texts.

Cool. Could you deal with an OpenOffice Calc or M$ Excel file having
the lines of English text in one column, and doing the German
translation into a second column?

That might be easiest, and will allow a cut-n-paste of the German
version straight into the database backend.

Sound workable to you?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Best Regards,
> Michael Paesold

- Indira Gandhi

Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Michael Paesold wrote:
> <snip>
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > I am from Austria, and I would like to help. I could provide a German
> > translation. The Babelfish's translation is really funny. Machine
> > translation is readable, but it is no advocacy. ;-) I do not really nead
an
> > interface, but just tell me in what way you want the texts.
>
> Cool. Could you deal with an OpenOffice Calc or M$ Excel file having
> the lines of English text in one column, and doing the German
> translation into a second column?
>
> That might be easiest, and will allow a cut-n-paste of the German
> version straight into the database backend.
>
> Sound workable to you?

Spreadsheet sounds great. I use M$.
Perhaps you can group the items in categories, at least navigation and text.
So I know where the text will be put on the website. The translation could
be different depending on how a word is used. E.g. it is quite common on
German websites to use the same English word "Home" for the main page; but
you would not use "Home" in a different context. The exceptable length of a
translation depends on the context, too.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

The lock on the relation owning the rule wasn't unlocked.

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 19:36, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>

> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Michael Paesold wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Hi Justin,
> > >
> > > I am from Austria, and I would like to help. I could provide a German
> > > translation. The Babelfish's translation is really funny. Machine
> > > translation is readable, but it is no advocacy. ;-) I do not really nead
> an
> > > interface, but just tell me in what way you want the texts.
> >
> > Cool. Could you deal with an OpenOffice Calc or M$ Excel file having
> > the lines of English text in one column, and doing the German
> > translation into a second column?
> >
> > That might be easiest, and will allow a cut-n-paste of the German
> > version straight into the database backend.
> >
> > Sound workable to you?
>
> Spreadsheet sounds great. I use M$.
> Perhaps you can group the items in categories, at least navigation and text.
> So I know where the text will be put on the website. The translation could
> be different depending on how a word is used. E.g. it is quite common on
> German websites to use the same English word "Home" for the main page; but
> you would not use "Home" in a different context. The exceptable length of a
> translation depends on the context, too.
>
> Best Regards,
> Michael Paesold

Rod Taylor

Attachment Content-Type Size
rule.patch text/x-patch 1.0 KB

> > I am from Austria, and I would like to help. I could provide a German
> > translation. The Babelfish's translation is really funny. Machine
> > translation is readable, but it is no advocacy. ;-) I do not really nead an
> > interface, but just tell me in what way you want the texts.
>
> Cool. Could you deal with an OpenOffice Calc or M$ Excel file having
> the lines of English text in one column, and doing the German
> translation into a second column?

Isn't this, um, the sort of thing you might want to put into, um, a, um,
database?
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html