Re: using adbin, conbin, etc.

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: using adbin, conbin, etc.
Date: 2003-07-30 01:45:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi guys,

I hear that we're supposed to use the 'bin' versions of the 'src' columns
where possible. I would like then to use them in phpPgAdmin for displaying
defaults and stuff. Is there some way to use them from SQL? Cos it all
looks like garbage to me :)

Chris

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 21:45, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I hear that we're supposed to use the 'bin' versions of the 'src' columns
> where possible. I would like then to use them in phpPgAdmin for displaying
> defaults and stuff. Is there some way to use them from SQL? Cos it all
> looks like garbage to me :)

Use the various pg_get_...() functions wherever you can.

> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 21:45, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>> I hear that we're supposed to use the 'bin' versions of the 'src' columns
>> where possible. I would like then to use them in phpPgAdmin for displaying
>> defaults and stuff. Is there some way to use them from SQL? Cos it all
>> looks like garbage to me :)

> Use the various pg_get_...() functions wherever you can.

And if you can't find one that does what you want, ask for it.
The last thing we want is client-side code digging into those internal
representations --- we change 'em frequently.

regards, tom lane

> > Use the various pg_get_...() functions wherever you can.
>
> And if you can't find one that does what you want, ask for it.
> The last thing we want is client-side code digging into those internal
> representations --- we change 'em frequently.

I want pg_get_* functions for every PostgreSQL object :P

Chris

> > And if you can't find one that does what you want, ask for it.
> > The last thing we want is client-side code digging into those internal
> > representations --- we change 'em frequently.
>
> I want pg_get_* functions for every PostgreSQL object :P

And I want an easy way of parsing aclitem[]'s so I don't have to do it
manually in PHP, trying to handle usernames and grantors that have commas,
spaces, backslashes and double quotes in them...

Chris