Re: Upcoming PG re-releases

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upcoming PG re-releases
Date: 2005-12-08 22:37:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Exactly what does vim do that iconv does not? Fuzzy encoding sounds
> scary to me.

Right. It actually makes assumptions about the source encoding. People who
care about their data need, unfortunately, to spend a bit of time on this
problem. I've been discussing the same issue on the slony1 mailing list,
because the issue can affect people's ability upgrade using slony1.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/slony1-general/2005-December/003430.html

It would be good if had the script I suggest in the email:

A script which identifies non-utf-8 characters and provides some
context, line numbers, etc, will greatly speed up the process of
remedying the situation.

Thoughts?

Gavin