Re: Patch to allow setting schema/search_path in the connectionURL

From: Matheus de Oliveira <matioli(dot)matheus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to allow setting schema/search_path in the connectionURL
Date: 2014-09-21 14:49:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 9/18/2014 12:47 PM, stagirus wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know of a solution on how to designate a schema while
>> establishing the connection? I would highly appreciate it!!!
>>

> we use the rolename as the default schema. works for us.

If someone has this requirement, it *probably* uses different users for
different schema configurations. In such case you don't even need to match
user name and schema name, you can simple configure search_path per user as:

ALTER ROLE username SET search_path TO schema1, schema2, ...;

For me, setting search_path from URL connection is a mistake, as it is not
one of configurations accept on connection creating at the protocol (or is
it?), like it is for client_encoding, application_name and others. If JDBC
devs are going to change settings on URL then you probably should start
thinking on more generic, like setting any GUC (like work_mem, etc.).

Disclaimer: I'm not a JDBC community active user, that is my "opinion", and
you can take or not... ;-)

Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados
Dextra Sistemas - MPS.Br nível F!