Re: how could select id=xx so slow?

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Yan Chunlu <springrider(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how could select id=xx so slow?
Date: 2012-07-06 09:46:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Yan Chunlu <springrider(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have grabbed one day slow query log and analyzed it by pgfouine, to my
> surprise, the slowest query is just a simple select statement:
>
> select diggcontent_data_message.thing_id, diggcontent_data_message.KEY,
> diggcontent_data_message.value, diggcontent_data_message.kind FROM
> diggcontent_data_message WHERE diggcontent_data_message.thing_id = 3570882;
>

> where thing_id is the primary key, guess how long it takes?
>
> 754.61 seconds!!

Is it possible that the size of the tuple is enormous? Because one
area where I've noticed EXPLAIN ANALYZE blows away normal performance
is when a lot of the work would be in reassembling, decompressing
(collectively: de-TOASTING) and sending the data.

Even then, that time seems excessive...but something to think about.

--
fdr