Re: PostgreSQL db, 30 tables with number of rows < 100 (not huge) - the fastest way to clean each non-empty table and reset unique identifier column of empty ones.

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Stanislaw Pankevich <s(dot)pankevich(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL db, 30 tables with number of rows < 100 (not huge) - the fastest way to clean each non-empty table and reset unique identifier column of empty ones.
Date: 2012-07-06 14:22:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 07/06/2012 09:45 PM, Stanislaw Pankevich wrote:

> Question: Is there a possibility in PostgreSQL to do DELETE on many
> tables massively, like TRUNCATE allows. Like DELETE table1, table2, ...?

Yes, you can do it with a writable common table expression, but you
wanted version portability.

WITH
discard1 AS (DELETE FROM test1),
discard2 AS (DELETE FROM test2 AS b)
SELECT 1;

Not only will this not work in older versions (IIRC it only works with
9.1, maybe 9.0 too but I don't see it in the documentation for SELECT
for 9.0) but I find it hard to imagine any performance benefit over
simply sending

DELETE FROM test1; DELETE FROM test2;

This all smells like premature optimisation of cases that don't matter.
What problem are you solving with this?

--
Craig Ringer