pg_dump native format will not restore correctly

From: "Scot Kreienkamp" <SKreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump native format will not restore correctly
Date: 2009-11-05 15:11:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I have successfully been doing text based backups and restores to a few
servers for reporting and testing purposes for a few years now. Due to
growth in the database I am switching to the native format backup and
using pg_restore to restore the database. The problem I've run into is
that at least one table is inaccessible after the restore finishes. Any
queries to that table just hang. Other tables seem to work ok. I have
no idea why.

Here's my backup command:
/usr/bin/pg_dump -U postgres rms-prod -F c -f $WALPATH/rms-prod.pgc

Here's my restore command:
pg_restore -v -U postgres -h $PGHOST --exit-on-error -d rms-prod
$WALPATH/rms-prod.pgc

However, when I do a text based backup and subsequent restore,
everything works just fine.

I'm currently running 8.3.7 on all my servers.

Thanks for the help.

Scot Kreienkamp
skreien(at)la-z-boy(dot)com