Re: Logical decoding on standby

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical decoding on standby
Date: 2017-03-22 15:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-03-22 14:58:29 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 22 March 2017 at 13:06, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>
> > But I have to admit, I've *severe* doubts about getting the whole
> > infrastructure for slot creation on replica into 10. The work is far
> > from ready, and we're mere days away from freeze.
>
> If Craig has to guess what would be acceptable, then its not long enough.

I don't know what you're on about with that statement. I've spent a
good chunk of time looking at the 0003 patch, even though it's large and
contains a lot of different things. I suggested splitting things up. I
even suggested what to move earlier after Craig agreed with that
sentiment, in the mail you're replying to, because it seems
independently doable.

> It would be better if you could outline a specific approach so he can
> code it. Coding takes about a day for most things, since Craig knows
> the code and what we're trying to achieve.

I find that fairly unconvincing. What we have here is a patch that isn't
close to being ready, contains a lot of complicated pieces, a couple
days before freeze. If we can pull useful pieces out: great. But it's
too later for major new development.

Greetings,

Andres Freund