BTree on-disk page ordering

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BTree on-disk page ordering
Date: 2006-05-08 22:50:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The mention of the changes to the btree scan code in the latest weekly
news got me curious so I started looking at the 'executive summary'
(read as: README) of the patch changes for both the scan patch and the
btbulkdelete patch. If my understanding is correct, vacuum will only see
a speed improvement when an index's on-disk storage order has a low
correlation to index order. Is there any way to see what that
correlation is on a running system? I'm wondering if anyone has checked
to see what kind of performance impact a highly out-of-order index has
on index scans.