Re: String aggregate function

From: "Objectz" <objectz(at)postmark(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: String aggregate function
Date: 2003-03-17 10:35:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tomsaz,

Thnx a lot for the great reference It has what I need.

create function comma_aggregate(text,text) returns text as '
begin
if (length($1) > 0 ) then
return $1 || ', ' || $2;
else
return $2;
end if;
end;
' language 'plpgsql';

-- create the aggregate function

create aggregate comma (basetype=text, sfunc=comma_aggregate,
stype=text, initcond='' );

I need some help to expand on its funcitonality instead of calling
comma(col_name) to produce comma-seperated values I need to call
something like concattext(prefix, col_name, suffix) wich returns the
list in one column with the prefix and suffix aroung each entry as
specified.

This will enable me to produce something like this result

> 1 (text1) (text3)
> 2 (text2) (text5)
> 3 (text4)

With this query
Select type, concattext('(', text, ') ') from table group by type

Any help on how to convert the above comma function to receive the
prefix and suffix parameters

Regards