Re: Re: pg_dump: schema with OID XXXXX does not exist - was Concurrent CREATE TABLE/DROP SCHEMA leaves inconsistent leftovers

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: pg_dump: schema with OID XXXXX does not exist - was Concurrent CREATE TABLE/DROP SCHEMA leaves inconsistent leftovers
Date: 2011-11-11 19:21:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Daniel Farina's message of vie nov 11 16:08:01 -0300 2011:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> >> But if it's deemed to be a
> >> problem, I want to see a solution that's actually watertight.)
> >>

> > After Daniel's hunch about pg_dump barfing due to such leftover entries
> > proving out to be true, we have one credible explanation (there might be
> > other reasons too) for this long standing issue. I see some reports from as
> > early as 2004 and some as latest as Feb, 2011!
>
> The 2004 report was in version 7.3, released in 2002. So it's Very
> Nearly a ten year old bug, and may very well go back further back in
> time.

Wasn't 7.3 the release that introduced schemas in the first place? I
wonder if there's any other kind of "container" sort of object that
could present a similar problem, in releases prior to that.

If we delay fixing it for 16 more days, it would last nine years.