Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-15 08:44:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> If we'd like to treat recovery.conf as if it's under the data directory, I'm
> afraid that we should add complicated code to parse recovery.conf after
> the value of data_directory has been determined from postgresql.conf.
> Furthermore, what if recovery.conf has another setting of data_directory?

We already do this dance for custom_variable_classes. IIRC the only
thing you have to care about is setting the GUC before any other one. I
guess you could just process the data_directory the same way, before the
main loop, and be done with it.

> Since recovery.conf is a configuration file, it's intuitive for me to put it
> in configuration file directory rather than data directory. So I'm not inclined
> to treat recovery.conf as if it's under data directory. Is this OK?

I think that if we keep some compatibility with recovery.conf, then we
need to include finding it in the data_directory or the configuration
file directory, in that order, and with a LOG message that says where we
did find it.

I think we should *NOT* load both of them with some priority rules.

Dimitri Fontaine