Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-15 07:54:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tis, 2011-09-13 at 17:10 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> So treat postgresql.conf as if it has an automatic "include
>> recovery.conf" in it. The file format is the same.
>
> Sounds good.  That would also have the merit that you could use, say,
> different memory settings during recovery.

One problem of this is that recovery.conf is relative to the configuration
file directory instead of data directory if we treat it as an "include" file.
If your configuration file directory is the same as the data directory, you
don't need to worry about this problem. But if you set data_directory to
the directory other than ConfigDir, the problem might break your tool
which depends on recovery.conf under the data directory.

If we'd like to treat recovery.conf as if it's under the data directory, I'm
afraid that we should add complicated code to parse recovery.conf after
the value of data_directory has been determined from postgresql.conf.
Furthermore, what if recovery.conf has another setting of data_directory?

Since recovery.conf is a configuration file, it's intuitive for me to put it
in configuration file directory rather than data directory. So I'm not inclined
to treat recovery.conf as if it's under data directory. Is this OK?

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center