Terminating a backend

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Terminating a backend
Date: 2008-03-07 01:21:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I have an idea for this TODO item:

* Allow administrators to safely terminate individual sessions either
via an SQL function or SIGTERM

Lock table corruption following SIGTERM of an individual backend
has been reported in 8.0. A possible cause was fixed in 8.1, but
it is unknown whether other problems exist. This item mostly
requires additional testing rather than of writing any new code.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-08/msg00174.php

When we get the termination signal, why can't we just set a global
boolean, do a query cancel, and in the setjmp() code block check the
global and exit --- at that stage we know we have released all locks and
can exit cleanly.