Re: pg_terminate_backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_terminate_backend
Date: 2006-08-03 22:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> What I'm looking for is some concentrated testing. The fact that some
>> people once in a while SIGTERM a backend doesn't give me any confidence
>> in it.

> OK, here is an opportunity for someone to run tests to get this into
> 8.2. The code already exists in CVS, but we need testing to enable it.
> I would think running a huge workload and killing it over and over again
> would be a good test.

Big multiprocess workload and you kill individual processes at random
while letting the rest run. It probably needs to be something that
stresses more of the code than pgbench would, too. (For instance,
it'd be a good idea if some of the workload involved having a few 2PC
transactions getting prepared and then either committed or rolled
back ... SIGTERM during a COMMIT PREPARED strikes me as the sort of
corner case that's probably never been exercised.)