configurability of OOM killer

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: configurability of OOM killer
Date: 2008-02-01 22:33:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This page

http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer

says that you can hint the OOM killer to be more deferential towards
certain processes.

I am wondering if we can set the system up so that it skips postmaster,
bgwriter etc, and feels more preference towards normal backends (but
then, we would try to give them less points than other regular
processes). That could make the system more robust overall, even if the
sysadmin hasn't configured it.

Incidentally, the same page notes that points are substracted from
processes with raw IO capability; which means *r*cle is probably
avoiding this problem altogether.