Re: configurability of OOM killer

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: configurability of OOM killer
Date: 2008-02-02 00:08:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This page
> http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer

Egad. Whoever thought *this* was a good idea should be taken out
and shot:

The independent memory size of any child (except a kernel thread) is added to the score:

/*
* Processes which fork a lot of child processes are likely
* a good choice. We add the vmsize of the childs if they
* have an own mm. This prevents forking servers to flood the
* machine with an endless amount of childs
*/

In other words, server daemons are preferentially killed, and the parent
will *always* get zapped in place of its child (since the child cannot
have a higher score). No wonder we have to turn off OOM kill.