Re: savepoints and upgrading locks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: savepoints and upgrading locks
Date: 2007-05-17 15:48:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:

Please take it off again.

> Jeff Davis wrote:
>> This thread here became a TODO item:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg01011.php
>>
>> During that discussion a patch was produced that nobody seemed to have
>> objections to.

Apparently you stopped reading somewhere. It was pretty thoroughly
destroyed beginning here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00025.php

We should have spent more effort trying to think of a solution to the
problem during the 8.3 development cycle. At the moment we're no
further ahead than we were in December.