semaphore usage "port based"?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: semaphore usage "port based"?
Date: 2006-04-02 19:52:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've got an odd issue that I'm not sure how to fix ... or, if fixing is
even possible ...

I just put into place a FreeBSD 6.x server ... it has 2 jails running on
it, and inside of each, I'm trying to run a PostgreSQL 7.4.12 server
(OpenACS requirement, no choice there) ...

Now, on my older FreeBSD 4.x servers, I have about 17 PostgreSQL servers
(some 7.2, some 7.4, some 8.x) ... and they all run fine, and they all run
on port 5432 ...

Now, something in FreeBSD has changed since 4.x that, if you start up a
second PostgreSQL server on port 5432, the first one starts to generate
"semctl: Invalid argument" errors ...

If I move one to port 5433, both run great ...

Now, since this *did* work fine with 4.x, the FreeBSD developers have
obviously changed something that is causing it not to work ... but, since
'changing port' appears to fix it, I'm wondering if there is something in
our Semaphore creation code that can be tweaked so that the semaphore side
of things *thinks* its running on a different port, but it still responses
to port 5432?

Or, more simply, I think ... is there somewhere in the Semaphore code that
is using the port # as a 'seed'?

I'm trying to attack things from the FreeBSD side too, to find out what
has changed, and how to fix it, but figured I might be able to come up
with a quicker fix from this group ...

Thx ...

----