pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date: 2005-08-15 17:30:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I have negotiated with the author of pl/Ruby to release plRuby under the
PostgreSQL license. The reason I did this is the following:

1. I felt we needed a truly OO language in core.
2. plPython isn't really moving forward and has the whole
trusted/untrusted issue.

Now anyone who knows me, knows that I love Python which means this is
not a language argument as much as a functionality argument.

Ruby for good or bad is gaining a large following and has become a very
active language in a short period of time. It can also be trusted and
untrusted.

I believe that unless plPython can either be fixed or is going to
continue to move forward as a pl language that we should consider
deprecating it and even removing it in 8.2 or 8.3.

As far as a PL language plruby seems to have some really good stuff.
Here is the docs:

http://moulon.inra.fr/ruby/plruby.html

What does everybody think?

Sincerely,