Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/Ruby, deprecating plPython and Core
Date: 2005-08-16 05:40:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have negotiated with the author of pl/Ruby to release plRuby under the
> PostgreSQL license. The reason I did this is the following:
>
> What does everybody think?

I think you should take a closer look at PL/Java for the following reasons:

1. The number of followers of the Java language is extremely high and
increasing.
2. Oracle and DB2 offers Java as a procedural language. You make
transisitions easy.
3. There's a SQL standard for the mapping between the SQL and Java language.
4. Middle-tier code is often written in Java and can often be moved to
functions and stored procedures without a rewrite.
5. PL/Java already provide both trusted and untrusted language handlers.
6. PL/Java has a community of over 70 members and increasing.
7. PL/Java has no license issue.
8. The author of PL/Java would be happy to maintain it in core.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren