Re: The Contrib Roundup (long)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The Contrib Roundup (long)
Date: 2005-06-08 18:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I will point out that all three "GPL" modules are currently unmaintained.
> I don't know that anyone has seen Massimo in years. Simply dropping them
> seems the easiest answer.

The original authors of the backend code haven't been seen on this list
in a long time, either ;-). That doesn't make either the backend or
these contrib modules "unmaintained". userlock in particular is not
practical to drop without a replacement, because people are definitely
using it.

A quick grep for "General Public License" finds these files:

contrib/dbmirror/clean_pending.pl
contrib/miscutil/README.misc_utils
contrib/miscutil/misc_utils.c
contrib/miscutil/misc_utils.sql.in
contrib/string/README.string_io
contrib/string/string_io.c
contrib/string/string_io.sql.in
contrib/tools/find-sources
contrib/tsearch/dict/porter_english.dct
contrib/userlock/README.user_locks
contrib/userlock/user_locks.c
contrib/userlock/user_locks.sql.in

I think the dbmirror one is just a mistake, since the README has a
BSD-type license, but we'd need to get Steven Singer to confirm that.
The tsearch one is more of a problem, but Oleg and Teodor have been
wanting to obsolete tsearch anyway, so dropping it would work. That
leaves us with four modules to be looked at ... and yeah, they do all
seem to be Massimo's. Anyone want to try to contact him?