Request for Comments: ALTER [OBJECT] SET SCHEMA

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Request for Comments: ALTER [OBJECT] SET SCHEMA
Date: 2005-06-08 18:25:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've took a look at the TODO item

Allow objects to be moved to different schemas

I've done some code so far which implements the syntax

ALTER [OBJECT] name SET SCHEMA name

where OBJECT currently is

SEQUENCE
TABLE
FUNCTION
DOMAIN
TYPE

Missing are (and i'm planning to add support for this):

AGGREGATE
OPERATOR
OPERATOR CLASS
CONVERSION

You can find a preliminary patch attached to this posting and i'm looking
for comments, critics and perhaps some proposals for improvements /
necessary changes i didn't consider yet.

One issue that comes to my mind is what to do when dealing with tables that
have assigned triggers and sequences (serials). Do we want to move them as
well or leave them in the source namespace?

TIA

--

Bernd

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql_alter_object_set_schema.patch application/octet-stream 27.3 KB