Re: [Testperf-general] BufferSync and bgwriter

From: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] BufferSync and bgwriter
Date: 2004-12-13 04:39:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon,

I am seeing a reasonably reproducible performance boost after applying
your patch (I'm not sure if that was one of the main objectives, but it
certainly is nice).

I *was* seeing a noticeable decrease between 7.4.6 and 8.0.0RC1 running
pgbench. However, after applying your patch, 8.0 is pretty much back to
being the same.

Now I know pgbench is ..err... not always the most reliable for this
sort of thing, so I am interested if this seems like a reasonable sort
of thing to be noticing (and also if anyone else has noticed the
decrement)?

(The attached brief results are for Linux x86, but I can see a similar
performance decrement 7.4.6->8.0.0RC1 on FreeBSD 5.3 x86)

regards

Mark
Simon Riggs wrote:

>Hmm...must confess that my only plan is:
>i) discover dynamic behaviour of bgwriter
>ii) fix any bugs or wierdness as quickly as possible
>iii) try to find a way to set the bgwriter defaults

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgbench.results text/plain 922 bytes