Re: [Testperf-general] BufferSync and bgwriter

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, testperf-general(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Testperf-general] BufferSync and bgwriter
Date: 2004-12-13 09:05:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 04:39, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> I am seeing a reasonably reproducible performance boost after applying
> your patch (I'm not sure if that was one of the main objectives, but it
> certainly is nice).
>
> I *was* seeing a noticeable decrease between 7.4.6 and 8.0.0RC1 running
> pgbench. However, after applying your patch, 8.0 is pretty much back to
> being the same.

Thanks Mark - brilliant to have some confirming test results back so
quickly.

The tests indicate that we're on the right track here and that we should
test this on the OSDL platform also on a long run, to check out the
effects of both normal running and checkpointing.

Given these test settings:
bgwriter_delay = 200
bgwriter_percent = 2
bgwriter_maxpages = 100

This shows the importance of reducing the length of the BufMgr lock in
StrategyDirtyBufferList() -- which I think Neil also agrees is the main
problem here.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs