some PITR performance data with DBT-2

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: some PITR performance data with DBT-2
Date: 2004-09-15 16:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Simon,

Sorry it has taken so long. Among other things, I doubled the controllers
and drives on the system I was testing this on. But now I have some data
against PostgreSQL-8.0beta2.

Here is the test run with archiving enabled:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/158/

Here is the test run with archiving disabled:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/159/

Here is sar/iostat/vmstat and oprofile data during the first hour of
recovery. Total recovery time took about 6.5 hours:
http://www.developer.osdl.org/markw/pitr/

The overall throughput difference between the two runs with archiving
enabled/disabled was within 1%.

I ran the test over a duration of 3 hours (including a 2 hour rampup of
the driver), as opposed to the 6 hours you originally requested. I
hope that is ok.

System details, which you may be interested in:

4 x 1.5 GHz Itanium 2
16GB RAM
6 x Compaq Computer Corporation Smart Array 64xx
6 x 14 disk 15K RPM drives (split bus)

The database and archive directory were put onto a single LVM volume
across all 84 drives.

Let me know if I left anything out.

--
Mark Wong - - markw(at)osdl(dot)org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation