Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Lewis Cunningham <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <brucem(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, josh <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dave(dot)page(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs
Date: 2008-03-07 21:59:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:42:51 -0800 (PST)
Lewis Cunningham <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Apparently Command Prompt and Devrim GÜNDÜZ own planetpostgresql.org
> and can arbitrarily decide to remove your blog from planetpostgresql.

Lewis, as I politely explained to you this is not the case. Let me post
that email here so there is zero question on this matter:

{{{
> This seems pretty one-sided and arbitrary.
>
> Is this Devrim the owner of planetpostgresql? Does he set the law

It is his project yes.

> for anyone carried on the feed?

It is a uniform policy. Although possibly not as well advertised as it
should be.

> I checked my recent posts and I have not had any that were overly
> large. The largest in that last month or so was about 10 paragraphs.
> Is that the new standard?

The problem isn't the length of your post as a blog. It's that you
aren't following headline rules.

Look here:

http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/

You will see short headlines of the blog, that is the part that is
supposed to show up at planet. Not the whole blog.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
}}}

AND:

{{{
On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:37:53 -0800 (PST)
Lewis Cunningham <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com> wrote:

> So was it the length of my last post or the topic?

It is the length in which your blog displays on Planet. You must trim
to headline per my direct email to you.

> Will you be policing all posts to planetpostgresql now? Should I

It is his project to do with what he wishes but this isn't policing. It
is providing uniform coverage for all bloggers on the feed.

> Do you have them written? Number of words, paragraphs, just Devrim's
> opinion?

LewisC this attitude is really not required. He provided the examples
of acceptable blog entries below. Devrim if the BFDL of Planet, we all
have to abide by the policies he sets forth and to date they have been
very reasonable.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
}}}

AND:

{{{
> Hi,
>
> I removed your blogs from Planet, since your last posts were long
> enough
> for Planet. Our rule is:
>
> ==============
> *If* your posts are very long, please break them into two parts.
> One
> that's included on planetpostgresql.org and a second that's
> available
> after clicking a link. This will keep the layout of
> planetpostgresql.org
> easy and quick for our visitors. Please see David Fetter's or
> Joshua
> Drake's, or Jeff David's posts as good examples (we have more
> examples,
> of course).
> ==============
>
> This was sent to you on Jan 08, 2008.
>
> Please let me know when your posts are fixed.
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE
> PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7
> support
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: plPHP, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

}}}

As everyone can now clearly see. You sir, are flanning flames for a
fire started on wet wood.

> I, and several others, received an email telling us that we we were
> not meeting the (unpublished) requirements for blog display length.
> Try telling blogger how much you want to display. At best it is hit
> or miss.

Yes and others is the key here. Anyone on this list that users planet
that has had a too long post has received the email in the past.

> BTW, my longest post in recent time was about 10 paragraphs long. I
> didn't count words but it was NOT a *long* post.

Which is, too long per the specification set by Devrim.

> Of course, this comes just days after Devrim and I had a disagreement
> about being restricted to using OSS tools or not for presenting at an
> OSS conference. Coincidence?

Actually it is. *I* am the one that ask Devrim to review current posts
on Planet because I noticed that several were too long per the policy.

> Anyway, that means that a single person can enforce his own,
> unpublished standards for acceptable content and length. This kind
> of arbitrary, "take my ball and go home" mentality is exactly what
> will turn off people who are thinking about whether or not they want
> to join this community.

LewisC I am afraid you are way off base here. As the above emails show.

> PlanetPostgrSQL.org is listed on the postgresql.org home page and
> should be controlled by more than a single individual. If this is a
> project that is policed and controlled solely by Devrim (as intimated
> by Joshua Drake, to me, in an email), then it should be removed from
> the homepage.

LewisC, Devrim is a major contributor to this project and I would note
that to date, you are the only one that has complained about this
policy. Because the policy, makes sense.

Please, take a chill pill. Have a good weekend.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
- --
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of
Dolphins