Re: Multiline plpython procedure

From: Hong Yuan <hongyuan(at)homemaster(dot)cn>
To: aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiline plpython procedure
Date: 2005-01-18 04:11:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver wrote:

>On Monday 17 January 2005 01:54 am, Hong Yuan wrote:
>I entered the multilineversion of this function exactly as written here and it
>ran properly. This was with version 8.0 of Postgres. You might want to do
>a /df+ circ in psql to see if your editor is putting a space at the beginning
>of line 2.

The strange thing is that if I create the function in psql, the function
works. But if I create the function from PgAdmin III, there was an
error, although with \df+ circ I can not identify any visual difference
between the two versions of function. See below:

.... I create the function with psql ....

homemaster=# \df+ circ
List of functions
Result data type | Schema | Name | Argument data types | Owner |
Language | Source code | Description
------------------+--------+------+---------------------+---------+-----------+-------------+-------------
double precision | public | circ | double precision | zopeapp |
plpythonu |
from math import pi
return 2*pi*args[0] |
(1 row)

homemaster=# select circ(1);
circ
---------------
6.28318530718
(1 row)

.... Now I recreate the function with pgAdmin ....

homemaster=# \df+ circ
List of functions
Result data type | Schema | Name | Argument data types | Owner |
Language | Source code | Description
------------------+--------+------+---------------------+---------+-----------+-------------+-------------
double precision | public | circ | double precision | zopeapp |
plpythonu |
from math import pi
return 2*pi*args[0] |
(1 row)

homemaster=# select circ(1);
ERROR: plpython: could not compile function "circ"
DETAIL: exceptions.SyntaxError: invalid syntax (line 2)

I suppose there are some invisible characters inserted into the function
body by pgAdmin. I am using pgAdmin III Version 1.2.0 under Chinese
Windows XP, while the database is 7.4.6 under Linux.

Should be a bug of pgAdmin with encoding or something. At least I know
the workaround now. Thanks.

--
HONG Yuan
Homemaster Trading Co., Ltd.