Data cluster initialization on NFS for different databases.

From: Frederiko Costa <frederiko(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Data cluster initialization on NFS for different databases.
Date: 2010-05-05 20:02:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I've got a few questions in regards to the way I'd like to design my
database area. Currently I have 2 projects. These projects contain two
dedicated databases, but their data would be stored in the same NFS server.
What I have as a plan is to run two different instances of pgsql server on
these two separate machines and save the data on two different directories -
acting as database area - exported via NFS. I believe to gain a little bit
flexibility later in case I decide one database to a different place. But I
don't think this would be decision making approach.

The question is if this approach is what most people do? I was also thinking
that if the number of projects grows, this could become a potential headache
to manage.

Would be possible to have a single directory - containing the database area
- exported and shared by different hosts, reading and writing on different
databases? If yes, is it recommended?

The last question is if NFS would be a good option as network, does anybody
recommend another network file system?

Thanks in advance.
Frederiko