Re: plpgsql GUC variable: custom or built-in?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql GUC variable: custom or built-in?
Date: 2010-04-20 01:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> This thread is still on the open items list, as:
>> Improve behavior of SUSET GUC variables added by loadable modules?
>> Is there something that needs to be done here?  If so, what is it?
>
> Well, if we knew exactly what to do, it wouldn't still be on the list.
> The problem is that making a "custom" variable SUSET doesn't really
> work: the system will not accept a value that's assigned before the
> loadable module is loaded, even if it was assigned by a superuser.
> I suggested a fix in the referenced thread, but it's not exactly an
> ideal fix.

Well, at this point the issue is deciding whether we're going to try
to do anything about this before beta. If we don't know what the
right solution is, that sounds to me like "no" - in which case we
should move this from the open items list to the todo list. Does that
sound reasonable to you?

...Robert