CREATE TABLE glitch -fix request for 7.2

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CREATE TABLE glitch -fix request for 7.2
Date: 2002-01-14 16:47:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom, Peter, Stephan, et al.:

Here's a glitch that's bothered me for a while (ver 7.0 -> 7.2b4 ) in
PostgreSQL DDL statements. I was thinking that since 7.2 is still in beta,
that you could fix it this version.

To produce the glitch:
1. Create a SQL script file that drops a table, then creates that table with a
SERIAL primary key (I do this all the time to build my databases)
2. Run the script once to create the table. You'll get a error (no table to
drop) but that doesn't matter.
3. Run the script a second time, as if you were making changes to the data
structure and needed to rebuild.
4. You will get an error telling you that "table1_id_seq" already exists, and
the CREATE TABLE statement will fail.

This is very user-unfriendly behaviour, especially in a database that still
does not support about 50% of ALTER TABLE. I spend a fair amount of extra
time deleting SERIAL sequences when I am doing the database-building part of
the development process.

Can we change this behavior, please? I'd suppose that it would require you to
create some sort of permanent link between SERIAL columns and the sequences
they spawn.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533