Re: 16 parameter limit

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, John Proctor <jproctor(at)prium(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 16 parameter limit
Date: 2002-04-05 23:26:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-sql

Tom,

> Yeah, but if we had slightly better support for rowtype parameters in
> plpgsql, you could do it with *three* parameters: session, user, and
> contents of record as a clients%rowtype structure. And it'd probably
> be a lot easier to read, and more maintainable in the face of changes
> to the clients table structure. This is why I say that needing lots
> of parameters may be a symptom of missing features rather than an
> indication that we ought to push up FUNC_MAX_ARGS.

You're right for my databases. For that matter, better support for
rowtype is on the laundry list of PL/SQL compatibility issues.

However, we also want to support users who are porting their PL/SQL
applications, which may not be easily translated into %rowtype
paramters. As I've said before, all this requires is a good
compile-time option; increasing the default is unnecessary.

What do you (personally) think about trying to get RH involved in
expanding PL/pgSQL's capabilites as a way fo targeting Oracle's users
for RHDB?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533