Re: pg_restore error

From: Bryan White <nicktook(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore error
Date: 2010-04-17 20:08:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

> It was unclear from your email how you are creating the dump. Did you create
> the dump with the 8.1 or the 8.4 version of pg_dump? When upgrading, the
> docs recommend using the newer version of the dump utility: "It is
> recommended that you use the pg_dump and pg_dumpall programs from the newer
> version of PostgreSQL, to take advantage of any enhancements that might have
> been made in these programs. Current releases of the dump programs can read
> data from any server version back to 7.0."

I messed up. I sent the stderr output of the dump to a text file and
never looked at it. There was some sort of deadlock condition on a
particular table. Another process tries to drop and recreate a table
during the time of the dump.

I was using the pg_dump from 8.1. I have now dumped the database with
the 8.4 version. It will be a couple hours before I have any results.

> How many cores are available on the new server?

The new server is a dual socket Nahalem. 8 cores, 16 threads, 48 GB
ram, 2 WAL drives in RAID1 and 12 database drives in RAID10.

--
Bryan White