Re: BLOBs etc

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLOBs etc
Date: 2005-01-08 22:21:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Is doing this transformation work really worth it? If you're going to do
> non-trivial server changes, aren't you better off improving bytea to
> solve the problems it has with large binary data and using bytea
> everywhere?

Probably. My LOB change suggestion was more based on keeping things
simple and not change the server much. As you point out, merging that
with a more significant protocol change will impose more changes anyhow
so why not go the full route and get rid of LOB's as the stand today
altogether.

In any case, a good start would be to allow stream access to a bytea on
the server side so that the client can use Blob access and binary streams.

A related topic is of course text and Clob's. It would be nice if the
could be handled the same way with the addition of needed encoding support.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren