Aliias names in select criteria

From: "Bob Powell" <Bob(at)hotchkiss(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Aliias names in select criteria
Date: 2002-06-04 16:49:35
Lists: pgsql-general

To whom it may concern:

The following selection criteria causes my box to start a process that gives no result.

SELECT P.Last_Name, P.First_Name, S.Status, S.Entry_Year, S.Graduation_Year, S.Former_School, S.Day_or_Board, S.Admissions_Id, P.Participant_Id, P.Birthday, P.Modification_Date
FROM Participants P, Students S
WHERE Participant.Participant_Id = Students.Participant_Id

It also throws the linux box into a process that has to be killed even though I've exited the client.

I found the problem to be the non-use of the alias after the WHERE clause If I rerun this as below without the full table name and using the alias it works. Is this a normal occurrence. Other systems I have used work either way.

SELECT P.Last_Name, P.First_Name, S.Status, S.Entry_Year, S.Graduation_Year, S.Former_School, S.Day_or_Board, S.Admissions_Id, P.Participant_Id, P.Birthday, P.Modification_Date
FROM Participants P, Students S
WHERE P.Participant_Id = S.Participant_Id

Bob Powell