Re: ByteA for binary data?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Robert Myers <ccrider(at)whiterose(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ByteA for binary data?
Date: 2002-02-25 03:00:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Myers <ccrider(at)whiterose(dot)net> writes:

> I've read the available documentation on LO and bytea, and both seem to
> have troubles, is this something that will be fixed in a future
> release? I'm currently running 7.2.

I've been using LOs with great success since 7.1--there are no current
problems with it, though the API is a little convoluted. I prefer
them to bytea fields becauser you're not forced to load the whole
thing into memory either on the server or client side (I work with
multi-megabyte data files). I use Java on the client.

Have you read the bytea docs on proper quoting? Is your PHP install
up to date? Older versions would truncate queries at 8k I think...

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863