Re: Re: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Jim Mercer <jim(at)reptiles(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date: 2001-06-17 15:46:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my> writes:

> My point is if you really need encryption, then your data should be
> encrypted too, otherwise it seems a waste of time or more a "feel
> good" thing.

I would disagree. I think there is a level of security where it's not
a catastrophe if someone sniffs and reconstructs your traffic, but
it's fairly important that such a person not be able to authenticate
as you. Most of my personal email (and, I assert, most people's)
falls into this category. Encrypted challenge/response addresses this
need quite well.

Naturally, if you're working at a level where intercepted traffic *is*
catastrophic, you should be doing end-to-end encryption and all that
good stuff.

-Doug
--
The rain man gave me two cures; he said jump right in,
The first was Texas medicine--the second was just railroad gin,