Re: Progress indication prototype

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Progress indication prototype
Date: 2010-09-18 12:02:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What you just said is about what I had in mind. I admit I can't
> articulate a more detailed design right off the top of my head, but
> the architecture you're proposing seems dead certain to never cover
> more than 0.1% of what people actually do.

Well, considering what we have now, the proposal is solid enough for
me. As far as supporting VACUUM or REINDEX operations, my feeling is
that offering a way to report current block being worked on and being
able to see that move is enough a progress indication.

We know for sure we won't be able to provide a reliable progress bar,
and I don't think adopting the famous windows time units (the longest
remaining second known) would do any good for the project.

dim