Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date: 2011-01-20 16:59:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Also, it won't actually work unless the server has replication
> configured (wal_level!=minimal, max_wal_senders>0, and possibly some
> setting for wal_keep_segments), which has been the main point of the
> naming discussion thus far. Now, you know what would be REALLY cool?
> Making this work without any special advance configuration. Like if
> we somehow figured out a way to make max_wal_senders unnecessary, and
> a way to change wal_level without bouncing the server, so that we
> could temporarily boost the WAL level from minimal to archive if
> someone's running a backup.

Not using max_wal_senders we're on our way, you "just" have to use the
external walreceiver that Magnus the code for already. WAL level, I
don't know that we have that already, but a big part of what this base
backup tool is useful for is preparing a standby… so certainly you want
to change that setup there.

Dimitri Fontaine