Re: JSON for PG 9.2

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date: 2011-12-17 22:02:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> The way forward here is to maintain this as an extension, provide debs
> and rpms, and show that that is maintainable. I can see numerous
> advantages in maintaining a PL outside the core; especially if you are
> still starting up and want to iterate quickly.

I'd like to add some confusion on the implementation choice, because it
looks damn too easy now… Guile 2.0 offers an implementation of the
ECMAscript language and plscheme already exists as a PostgreSQL PL
extension for integrating with Guile.

http://plscheme.projects.postgresql.org/

http://wingolog.org/archives/2009/02/22/ecmascript-for-guile
http://packages.debian.org/sid/guile-2.0

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

Guile is an extension language platform

Guile is an efficient virtual machine that executes a portable
instruction set generated by its optimizing compiler, and integrates
very easily with C and C++ application code. In addition to Scheme,
Guile includes compiler front-ends for ECMAScript and Emacs Lisp
(support for Lua is underway), which means your application can be
extended in the language (or languages) most appropriate for your user
base. And Guile's tools for parsing and compiling are exposed as part
of its standard module set, so support for additional languages can be
added without writing a single line of C.

Dimitri Fontaine