Re: Include WAL in base backup

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Include WAL in base backup
Date: 2011-01-16 19:13:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> However, it's not quite that simple. "just adding a fork()" doesn't
> work on all our platforms, and you need to deal with feedback and such
> between them as well.

I'd think client-side, we have an existing implementation with the
parallel pg_restore option. Don't know (yet) how easy it is to reuse
that code…

> Oh, and this might be the use-case for integrating the streaming log
> code as well :-) But if we plan to do that, perhaps we should pick a
> different name for the binary? Or maybe just share code with another
> one later..

You're talking about the pg_streamrecv binary? Then yes, my idea about
it is that it should become the default archive client we ship with
PostgreSQL. And grow into offering a way to be the default restore
command too. I'd see the current way that the standby can switch
between restoring from archive and from a live stream as a first step
into that direction.

Dimitri Fontaine