Re: JSON for PG 9.2

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)pvh(dot)ca>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Joseph Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date: 2011-12-18 11:13:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Dimitri Fontaine
> <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> I'd like to add some confusion on the implementation choice, because it
>> looks damn too easy now… Guile 2.0 offers an implementation of the
>> ECMAscript language and plscheme already exists as a PostgreSQL PL
>> extension for integrating with Guile.
>
> It seems like the licensing there could potentially be problematic.
> It's GPL with a linking exception. Not sure we want to go there.

It's LGPL so it's compatible (only the readline part is subject to GPL,
we're familiar enough with that though).

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-2.0/guile-ref/Guile-License.html

The Guile library (libguile) and supporting files are published under
the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version 3 or later.
See the files COPYING.LESSER and COPYING.

C code linking to the Guile library is subject to terms of that
library. Basically such code may be published on any terms, provided
users can re-link against a new or modified version of Guile.

Scheme level code written to be run by Guile (but not derived from
Guile itself) is not restricted in any way, and may be published on
any terms. We encourage authors to publish on Free terms.

Dimitri Fontaine