Re: [HACKERS] LONG varsize - how to go on

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LONG varsize - how to go on
Date: 1999-12-17 19:26:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Oh, got it. You are going to implement long tuples for only the lztext
> type at first. Excellent idea. Did you see someone on the general list
> already is asking about long tuples for 7.0? I replied on our current
> status.

I've seen several such questions these days. And I fear, if
I'm not able to get at least the required catalog changes
into 7.0, I'd have to wait until after 7.0 freeze + CVS
branch before I can start at all. That'd cost us too much
time.

I know that I can deal with a bunch of deferred patches,
staying in sync with CURRENT and having new features only as
patches. But that worx only as long as I have most catalog
changes in CURRENT. One single concurrent catalog change can
cost me days of work in the worst case otherwise.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #