Status of server side Large Object support?

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Status of server side Large Object support?
Date: 2004-11-28 09:22:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I'm in the phase of implementing CLOB's and BLOB's in PL/Java. I found
the inv_api.c and will use that as the base for my implementation. I
lack two calls:

int inv_length(LargeObjectDesc* lo);

void inv_truncate(LargeObjectDesc* lo, int position);

Searching the archives I found some questions concerning this but there
seem to be no resolution at this point. Is this correct? If so I might
want to give it a try. I didn't find the topic on the TODO list though.
Shouldn't it be?

Has anyone done some work on this already?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Am Sonntag, 28. November 2004 10:22 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
> I'm in the phase of implementing CLOB's and BLOB's in PL/Java. I found
> the inv_api.c and will use that as the base for my implementation.

The "inv_api" large objects are deprecated. CLOBs and BLOBs should be based
on text and bytea, respectively.

--
Peter Eisentraut

>Am Sonntag, 28. November 2004 10:22 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
>

>>I'm in the phase of implementing CLOB's and BLOB's in PL/Java. I found
>>the inv_api.c and will use that as the base for my implementation.
>>

>The "inv_api" large objects are deprecated. CLOBs and BLOBs should be based
>on text and bytea, respectively.

Hmm, ok. But there's no way to stream them in and out from disk. From
what I can see, you have to bring all of it into memory. Not so ideal
perhaps if you want to provide streaming media for thousands of users.

Hopefully I'm missing something.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-11-28 11:49:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Am Sonntag, 28. November 2004 10:22 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
> > I'm in the phase of implementing CLOB's and BLOB's in PL/Java. I found
> > the inv_api.c and will use that as the base for my implementation.
>
> The "inv_api" large objects are deprecated. CLOBs and BLOBs should be based
> on text and bytea, respectively.

How do you solve the problem, text and bytea require large amount of
RAM?
--
Tatsuo Ishii

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2004-11-28 16:26:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>The "inv_api" large objects are deprecated. CLOBs and BLOBs should be based
>on text and bytea, respectively.

Until bytea is actually useful with large scale binaries I would
say that large objects are far from deprecated. You can't reasonably
store large binary date in bytea.

Large objects are currently much more useful and easier to work with.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

jd.vcf text/x-vcard 285 bytes