Re: Some download statistics

Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Some download statistics
Date: 2005-02-24 16:35:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

(crossposting this to hackers, I'm sure there are interested people
there as well)

Since Dave set the site up for tracking clickthroughs, I hit the db with
a couple of queries to count our downloads. This is what I came up with:

I did some simple pivoting in Excel and split it into categories win32,
source, sig (MD5 or PGP signatures), RPMs, split (the split tarballs),
pgadmin and ODBC. Other stuff was so little that I cut it.

The numbers for just-past-release may be off a bit because of the move
of wwwmaster. Not sure what happened to the db.

Just before and about 24 hours after the release of 8.0, we had the
following:
win32 16480
source 5223
sig 2016
rpm 1908
split 1689
pgadmin 370
odbc 261
Grand Total 27947

Total tally since the tracking started (2005-01-11):
win32 106878 56,37%
source 39058 20,60%
rpm 11703 6,17%
split 9135 4,82%
sig 8931 4,71%
pgadmin 7281 3,84%
odbc 6601 3,48%
Total 189587

And the versions being downloaded (total):
8.0.1 85511
8.0.0 82517
notpg 14526 (pgadmin, odbc etc)
7.4.6 4297
7.4.7 2736
Grand Total 189587

This does *not* include bittorrent downloads.

Some conclusions that I draw from this:
1) The win32 distribution is very popular. Some of this is no doubt
because it's new. Also, about 3500 of those downloads are RC5 downloads.
RC5 downloads of the source were during this time so few that they
didn't show up after my cutoff.

2) Most of the people who use RPMs on their linux systems wait for their
distribution to ship the RPMs and don't get it. Or they are alraedy set
up to download directly from their mirror and not from the website (the
tracker only counts downloads that were initiated from the website)

3) There doesnt' seem to be much point to the distribution splits. A
total of less than 5% the *number* of downloads. And most people
probably get more than one file, so in reality that number shuold
proably be divided by 4 or 5.
I know several people who downloaded source *plus* the split ones,
because "hey, I need postgresql. And I certainly need base too. And I
need docs.". They don't realise it's included in the main tarball.
Frankly, I'd suggest dropping the splits. Thoughts?

4) People upgraded to 8.0.1. Not a lot of people have upgraded their 7.4
systems.

As always, it's statistics. You can say anything you want with it...
Someone who chews numbers for a living might be able to get more out of
it. If someone is interested in the excel pivot tables with this stuff
in it, let me know. But it's nothing exciting there :)

//Magnus

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> 3) There doesnt' seem to be much point to the distribution splits. A
> total of less than 5% the *number* of downloads. And most people
> probably get more than one file, so in reality that number shuold
> proably be divided by 4 or 5.
> I know several people who downloaded source *plus* the split ones,
> because "hey, I need postgresql. And I certainly need base too. And I
> need docs.". They don't realise it's included in the main tarball.
> Frankly, I'd suggest dropping the splits. Thoughts?

this tracks only those going in through the web ... this doesn't track
those using an ftp client going in and downloading files ... specifically,
I know that all of the FreeBSD ports are based on the split distributions
... in the case of the postgresql80-server port, it only downloads base
and opt and ignores the rest ...

----