Re: Author names in source files

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Author names in source files
Date: 2010-12-03 01:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I found there are some author names in some of source files.
Will we keep their names? And, will we add new author names
who wrote patches for those files?

src/backend/postmaster/syslogger.c(15) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
src/backend/utils/adt/genfile.c(9) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
src/backend/utils/adt/oracle_compat.c(7): * Author: Edmund Mergl
src/backend/utils/adt/txid.c(14) : * Author: Jan Wieck, Afilias USA INC.

--
Itagaki Takahiro

> I found there are some author names in some of source files.
> Will we keep their names? And, will we add new author names
> who wrote patches for those files?
>
> src/backend/postmaster/syslogger.c(15) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
> src/backend/utils/adt/genfile.c(9) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
> src/backend/utils/adt/oracle_compat.c(7): * Author: Edmund Mergl
> src/backend/utils/adt/txid.c(14) : * Author: Jan Wieck, Afilias USA INC.

When someone writes a file from scratch, we usually keep their name on
it so we remember the original author.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie dic 03 00:15:28 -0300 2010:
> Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
> > I found there are some author names in some of source files.
> > Will we keep their names? And, will we add new author names
> > who wrote patches for those files?
> >
> > src/backend/postmaster/syslogger.c(15) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
> > src/backend/utils/adt/genfile.c(9) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
> > src/backend/utils/adt/oracle_compat.c(7): * Author: Edmund Mergl
> > src/backend/utils/adt/txid.c(14) : * Author: Jan Wieck, Afilias USA INC.
>
> When someone writes a file from scratch, we usually keep their name on
> it so we remember the original author.

The reason Takahiro-san is asking the question is because one of
Dimitri's patches adds a function to genfile.c, and add his name to the
"Author" field while at it. So answering the second part of the
question is important. I take it your answer to that is "no".

On 12/02/2010 10:15 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Itagaki Takahiro wrote:
>> I found there are some author names in some of source files.
>> Will we keep their names? And, will we add new author names
>> who wrote patches for those files?
>>
>> src/backend/postmaster/syslogger.c(15) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
>> src/backend/utils/adt/genfile.c(9) : * Author: Andreas Pflug
>> src/backend/utils/adt/oracle_compat.c(7): * Author: Edmund Mergl
>> src/backend/utils/adt/txid.c(14) : * Author: Jan Wieck, Afilias USA INC.
> When someone writes a file from scratch, we usually keep their name on
> it so we remember the original author.

That's probably reasonable for a while. But the code drifts. I certainly
wouldn't object to my name being removed from initdb.c, after 7 years,
athough probably half the code or more is still mine.

cheers

andrew

> Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of vie dic 03 00:15:28 -0300 2010:
>> When someone writes a file from scratch, we usually keep their name on
>> it so we remember the original author.

> The reason Takahiro-san is asking the question is because one of
> Dimitri's patches adds a function to genfile.c, and add his name to the
> "Author" field while at it. So answering the second part of the
> question is important. I take it your answer to that is "no".

If everybody who had added any code to a file got to put their name on
it, the author lists would be ridiculously long (and some of us would
have our names plastered in hundreds of places). My answer is "no,
and I'm not sure those things should be there in the first place".

regards, tom lane