trigger firing order

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Hugo <htakada(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: trigger firing order
Date: 2006-04-10 21:09:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi, how can I tell in which order are triggered different triggers on the
same table, let me explain ,
I have three triggers for table A, all of then are intended for "before
insert" on the table, in ASA I can tell the Db in which order I want the
triggers to fire, is there an equivalent for postgres ??

thanks for your help

Postgres 8.0.4
Windows XP

> Hi, how can I tell in which order are triggered different triggers on the
> same table, let me explain ,
> I have three triggers for table A, all of then are intended for "before
> insert" on the table, in ASA I can tell the Db in which order I want the
> triggers to fire, is there an equivalent for postgres ??

IIRC, I've read some where that they are activated in alphabetical order.

Regards,

Richard.

On Monday 10 April 2006 05:09 pm, Hugo saith:
> Hi, how can I tell in which order are triggered different triggers on the
> same table, let me explain ,
> I have three triggers for table A, all of then are intended for "before
> insert" on the table, in ASA I can tell the Db in which order I want the
> triggers to fire, is there an equivalent for postgres ??
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Postgres 8.0.4
> Windows XP

Triggers of the same type fire in alphabetical order; at least, that's how it
works is 7.4.6.

> On Monday 10 April 2006 05:09 pm, Hugo saith:
>> Hi, how can I tell in which order are triggered different triggers on the
>> same table, let me explain ,
>> I have three triggers for table A, all of then are intended for "before
>> insert" on the table, in ASA I can tell the Db in which order I want the
>> triggers to fire, is there an equivalent for postgres ??
>>
>> thanks for your help
>>
>> Postgres 8.0.4
>> Windows XP
>
> Triggers of the same type fire in alphabetical order; at least, that's how it
> works is 7.4.6.

Although, you should really be on at LEAST 7.4.12... :)

Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both. - Benjamin Franklin

> Hi, how can I tell in which order are triggered different triggers on the
> same table, let me explain ,
> I have three triggers for table A, all of then are intended for "before
> insert" on the table, in ASA I can tell the Db in which order I want the
> triggers to fire, is there an equivalent for postgres ??

They're fired in alphabetical order. I tend to prefix my trigger names
with numbers for that reason ;)

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl