[WIP] GUC for temp_tablespaces

Lists: pgsql-patches
From: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [WIP] GUC for temp_tablespaces
Date: 2007-05-03 06:28:11
Lists: pgsql-patches

On 3/17/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On 3/5/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> In the second place, it's a serious violation of what little modularity
> >> and layering we have for fd.c to be calling into commands/tablespace.c.
> >> This is not merely cosmetic but has real consequences: one being that
> >> it's now unsafe to call OpenTemporaryFile outside a transaction.
>
> > ok, you are right... what do you suggest?
> > maybe move the GetTempTablespace function to somewhere in src/backend/utils?
>
> You missed the point entirely. Relocating the code to some other file
> wouldn't change the objection: the problem is that fd.c mustn't invoke
> any transactional facilities such as catalog lookups. It's too low
> level for that.
>
> You could perhaps do it the other way around: some transactional
> code (eg the assign hook for a GUC variable) tells fd.c to save
> some private state controlling future temp file creations.

ok. i have done that.
I know this is not the time i told you but i was busy at job.

i haven't did anything about RemovePgTempFiles() yet, because i want
to know of the posibility of getting this on 8.3

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning."
Richard Cook

Attachment Content-Type Size
temp_tablespaces-1.2.3.diff text/plain 24.8 KB

> On 3/17/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > > ok, you are right... what do you suggest?
> > > maybe move the GetTempTablespace function to somewhere in src/backend/utils?
> >
> > You missed the point entirely. Relocating the code to some other file
> > wouldn't change the objection: the problem is that fd.c mustn't invoke
> > any transactional facilities such as catalog lookups. It's too low
> > level for that.
> >
> > You could perhaps do it the other way around: some transactional
> > code (eg the assign hook for a GUC variable) tells fd.c to save
> > some private state controlling future temp file creations.
> >

> ok. i have done that.
> I know this is not the time i told you but i was busy at job.
>
> i haven't did anything about RemovePgTempFiles() yet, because i want
> to know of the posibility of getting this on 8.3
>
> --
> regards,
> Jaime Casanova
>
> "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
> build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying
> to produce bigger and better idiots.
> So far, the universe is winning."
> Richard Cook

[ Attachment, skipping... ]