pljava revisited

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pljava revisited
Date: 2003-12-10 15:18:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I'm working on a new pl/java prototype that I hope will become production
quality some time in the future. Before my project gets to far, I'd like to
gather some input from other users. I've taken a slightly different approach
than what seems to be the case for other attempts that I've managed to dig
up. Here's some highlights in my approach:

1. A new Java VM is spawned for each connection. I know that this will give
a performance hit when a new connection is created. The alternative however,
implies that all calls becomes inter-process calls which I think is a much
worse scenario. Especially since most modern environments today has some
kind of connection pooling. Another reason is that the connections
represents sessions and those sessions gets a very natural isolation using
separate VM's. A third reason is that the "current connection" would become
unavailable in a remote process (see #5).

2. There's no actual Java code in the body of a function. Simply a reference
to a static method. My reasoning is that when writing (and debugging) java,
you want to use your favorite IDE. Mixing Java with SQL just gets messy.

3. As opposed to the Tcl, Python, and Perl, that for obvious reasons uses
strings, my pl/java will use native types wherever possible. A flag can be
added to the function definition if real objects are preferred instead of
primitives (motivated by the fact that the primitives cannot reflect NULL
values).

4. The code is actually written using JNI and C++ but without any templates,
no &-style object references, no operator overloads, external class
libraries etc. I use C++ simply to get better quality, readability and
structure on the code.

5. I plan to write a JDBC layer using JNI on top of the SPI calls to enable
JDBC functionality on the current connection. Some things will be limited
(begin/commit etc. will not be possible to do here for instance).

Current status is that my first calls from Postgres to Java has been made.
Lot's of work remain.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Thomas Hallgren

>I'm working on a new pl/java prototype that I hope will become production
>quality some time in the future. Before my project gets to far, I'd like to
>gather some input from other users. I've taken a slightly different approach
>than what seems to be the case for other attempts that I've managed to dig
>up. Here's some highlights in my approach:
>
>1. A new Java VM is spawned for each connection. I know that this will give
>a performance hit when a new connection is created. The alternative however,
>implies that all calls becomes inter-process calls which I think is a much
>worse scenario. Especially since most modern environments today has some
>kind of connection pooling. Another reason is that the connections
>represents sessions and those sessions gets a very natural isolation using
>separate VM's. A third reason is that the "current connection" would become
>unavailable in a remote process (see #5).

Maybe on-demand might be better - if the particular backend doesn't need
it why incur the overhead?

>2. There's no actual Java code in the body of a function. Simply a reference
>to a static method. My reasoning is that when writing (and debugging) java,
>you want to use your favorite IDE. Mixing Java with SQL just gets messy.

Perhaps an example or two might help me understand better how this would
work.

>3. As opposed to the Tcl, Python, and Perl, that for obvious reasons uses
>strings, my pl/java will use native types wherever possible. A flag can be
>added to the function definition if real objects are preferred instead of
>primitives (motivated by the fact that the primitives cannot reflect NULL
>values).
>
>4. The code is actually written using JNI and C++ but without any templates,
>no &-style object references, no operator overloads, external class
>libraries etc. I use C++ simply to get better quality, readability and
>structure on the code.

Other pl* (perl, python, tcl) languages have vanilla C glue code. Might
be better to stick to this. If you aren't using advanced C++ features
that shouldn't be too hard - well structured C can be just as readable
as well structured C++. At the very lowest level, about the only things
C++ buys you are the ability to declare variables in arbitrary places,
and // style comments.

>5. I plan to write a JDBC layer using JNI on top of the SPI calls to enable
>JDBC functionality on the current connection. Some things will be limited
>(begin/commit etc. will not be possible to do here for instance).

Again. examples would help me understand better.

Is there a web page for your project?

cheers

andrew

On Dec 10, 2003, at 11:23 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm working on a new pl/java prototype that I hope will become
>> production
>> quality some time in the future. Before my project gets to far, I'd
>> like to
>> gather some input from other users. I've taken a slightly different
>> approach
>> than what seems to be the case for other attempts that I've managed
>> to dig
>> up. Here's some highlights in my approach:
>>
>> 1. A new Java VM is spawned for each connection. I know that this
>> will give
>> a performance hit when a new connection is created. The alternative
>> however,
>> implies that all calls becomes inter-process calls which I think is a
>> much
>> worse scenario. Especially since most modern environments today has
>> some
>> kind of connection pooling. Another reason is that the connections
>> represents sessions and those sessions gets a very natural isolation
>> using
>> separate VM's. A third reason is that the "current connection" would
>> become
>> unavailable in a remote process (see #5).
>>

> Maybe on-demand might be better - if the particular backend doesn't
> need it why incur the overhead?

I think a JVM per connection is going to add too much overhead, even if
its on-demand. Some platforms handle
multiple JVMs better than others, but still. 25 or so individual JVMs
is going to be a mess, in terms of resource consumption.

Start time/connect time will be an issue. Saying 'people use pools',
while generally accurate, kind of sweeps the problem
under the carpet instead of the dust bin.

>> 2. There's no actual Java code in the body of a function. Simply a
>> reference
>> to a static method. My reasoning is that when writing (and debugging)
>> java,
>> you want to use your favorite IDE. Mixing Java with SQL just gets
>> messy.
>>

> Perhaps an example or two might help me understand better how this
> would work.
>

>> 3. As opposed to the Tcl, Python, and Perl, that for obvious reasons
>> uses
>> strings, my pl/java will use native types wherever possible. A flag
>> can be
>> added to the function definition if real objects are preferred
>> instead of
>> primitives (motivated by the fact that the primitives cannot reflect
>> NULL
>> values).
>>
>> 4. The code is actually written using JNI and C++ but without any
>> templates,
>> no &-style object references, no operator overloads, external class
>> libraries etc. I use C++ simply to get better quality, readability and
>> structure on the code.
>>

> Other pl* (perl, python, tcl) languages have vanilla C glue code.
> Might be better to stick to this. If you aren't using advanced C++
> features that shouldn't be too hard - well structured C can be just as
> readable as well structured C++. At the very lowest level, about the
> only things C++ buys you are the ability to declare variables in
> arbitrary places, and // style comments.

Agreed. Given that the rest of the code base is C....I would imagine
that the Powers that Be would frown a bit on merging
C++ code in, and relegate it to contrib for eternity...

Not knocking the idea, mind you - I think it would be great if it can
be pulled off. Was thinking about it myself as a way to learn more
of the backend code and scrape the thick layer of rust off of my C
skills. Would like to see where you are with it.

>> 5. I plan to write a JDBC layer using JNI on top of the SPI calls to
>> enable
>> JDBC functionality on the current connection. Some things will be
>> limited
>> (begin/commit etc. will not be possible to do here for instance).
>>

> Again. examples would help me understand better.
>
> Is there a web page for your project?
>

> cheers
>
> andrew
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

--------------------

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com

>> Other pl* (perl, python, tcl) languages have vanilla C glue code.
>> Might be better to stick to this. If you aren't using advanced C++
>> features that shouldn't be too hard - well structured C can be just as
>> readable as well structured C++. At the very lowest level, about the
>> only things C++ buys you are the ability to declare variables in
>> arbitrary places, and // style comments.
>>

> Agreed. Given that the rest of the code base is C....I would imagine
> that the Powers that Be would frown a bit on merging
> C++ code in, and relegate it to contrib for eternity...

It will probably have to live on GBorg right from the beginning anyway,
so "the Powers" might not care at all.

Thus far _all_ procedural languages are loadable modules. VM or not, I
don't see why this one would be any different. That also answers the "on
demand" question to some extent, doesn't it?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #